PAST TIMES IN THE KÜHLHAUS GÖRLITZ
The construction of the GDR is planning at all levels. Fourteen standard cold storages facilities (“Kühlhäuser” in German) are being built by the investment agency “Sonderbaustab für die Kühlhausbauprogramm” on behalf of the Ministry of Food Industry, for the storage of the state reserve in the GDR. One of them is the “Kühlhaus Görlitz”, which was built despite the initially critically considered border proximity to Poland. Commissioning took place in 1954. Today, the monolithic reinforced concrete structure is on the list of protected buildings due to its industrial and economic importance.
THE TIME OF DECAY
After the previous uses, the Kühlhaus was shut down in 1993. In 1994, it was bought by the Dutch company Frigolanda as part of a merger of several cold storage facilities. Due to its structural and technical condition, the Görlitz site could not be used sensibly and remained largely abandoned until 2008. During this time, the site was exposed to permanent vandalism and looting at an increasing rate.
WITH MANY VOLUNTARY HANDS
A group of young people discovered Kühlhaus Görlitz in 2006. After persistent attempts to contact the owner, the first meeting with Hans van Leeuwen from Frigolanda Dresdner Kühlhaus GmbH took place in 2008. He decided to support the project and from then on covered important construction costs, gave advice on permits, finance, machinery rental, and construction materials. The newly founded association and enormous efforts by numerous volunteers provided a solid starting point for the socio-cultural meeting place, “Kühlhaus Görlitz”.
EVENTS, CONCERTS & MORE
Team Kühlhaus Görlitz is growing and attracting more people to Kühlhaus. Since 2013, many (socio) cultural events such as concerts, workshops, film screenings, and seminars have taken place. Kühlhaus Görlitz provides a starting point for self-employed and freelancers in the field of cultural and creative industries.CURRENT EVENTS